Wednesday, February 4, 2009

And, the grass, it was a-tickin'

Forgive me, but before we begin, I have to say that I heard one of New Kids on the Block's "new" songs at the grocery store last night, and I seriously think one of the lines was ... "Gotta know if you're mad at me before Grey's Anatomy ..." Are you serious?! It's tragic, and what is even worse ... I can't get the flipping song out of my head!!!!


Moving on ... or, at least, trying to move on ...


I made it to Lubbock, and then back to Austin safely. This is always good news.

I prefer road trips with a companion, but I will say that there is something very theraputic about driving long-ish distances alone. (For me, anyway). I get a chance to listen to exactly what kind of music I want to listen to, and there are miles and miles of quiet road to just think and think and think ...

The irony that I have my best ideas (for quite literally everything) while using a pen and paper are near-impossible is not lost on me. Because that's how it always has been, and probably always will be. I have these great thoughts, epiphanies, write-this-down-immediately ideas when I am either road-tripping alone, exercising, or in the shower. No lie. It's a curse, I'll tell you this much!

I have tried using one of those hand-held voice recorders in the car, but end up feeling like a complete freak before one sentence can even be captured ... fumble my words ... lose my train of thought ... and throw the thing in the backseat. I wish I could consistently speak how I think and write, but it just isn't so. ("Say it ain't so-whoa-whoa-whoa ..." (Weezer) just burst into my head. Weird.)

So, on the travel up to Austin, I pretty much peeled my balls (eyeballs ... perverts!) for ice on the road, of which there was a little in and around Abilene (nasty, nasty wreck, too, that I just missed). I also decided that I would take some CD's I hadn't listened to in ages and ages. One of which was Dulcinea by Toad the Wet Sprocket. I hadn't listened to that album in close to 4 years. It's so, dang good! I had forgotten. I listened to it all the way through 3 times.

I also listened to The Beatles' White Album and Elton John's Greatest Hits, and positively sang my face off ... at the top of my lungs ... horribly. The other 2 I managed to fit in on the way were Gold by Ryan Adams, which is truly an amazing CD from start to finish ... total emotional rollercoaster ride as well, I might add ... and Bon Jovi, Slippery When Wet ... a guilty pleasure face-rocker kick-back from the 80's. I'm sure those in the cars anywhere near me thought I was having some sort of episode, but the wide array was worth it.

On the way back to 'The Hill Country', I talked on the phone quite a bit to my sister (scold me later), and managed to completely tuned out the stereo, lost in thought for the rest of the drive. What thoughts, I could not tell you even if I were held at gunpoint. That's what I mean by the best ideas being wasted on acts that take full-body concentration, while allowing the mind to wander indefinitely.

While I was in Lubbock, I spent the great majority of my time at Aunt Kay's house. On Friday and Saturday, after everyone was asleep, I met up with my sister (both nights) and Melissa, Heidi, and some other folks I hadn't seen in a while (Saturday). It's funny because both Colee (my sissy) and Heidi are now dating guys named Chris, and this past weekend was my first night to meet both. Approval is important from family and friends when it comes to significant others, and I get why ... it's immensely stressful to date someone your friends and family are "just not that into." Luckily, I like both of the boys named Chris. Proceed! (Ha.)

(Sidenote: If my sister reads this, she is going to flip out because I said she is "dating" this guy. He's actually her boyfriend, but that word makes her wiggle, so she won't speak it. She cracks me up! Words it as she "caught feelings." How cute is that?! Ah, young love ... flowers and rainbows and balloons and party hats and cake ...)

I was also able to meet Courtni for lunch on Friday while Charlotte was getting Kay discharged from the hospital. We had Abuelo's, which is soooo yummy in Lubbock ... and soooo not near as yummy here in Austin. We took about 2 hours to just talk and catch up, reminisce about our late teens and very early twenties (crazy times, we've determined). I just love that girl! I still can't believe we have been friends for 25 years!!!! That's a LONG TIME! In fact, it is such a long time that I can't remember not knowing her. It's good (essential) to have those kinds of friends, the ones who will stick by you, no matter what ... forever and ever and ever.

OH! And I think I can spill this now ... I am going to be a pseudo-aunt once again ... because ... Courtni is pregnant with her second baby!!!! She's definitely having a little girl this time, and I am thrilled! I adore her first, Kealan (little boy, 3-years-old now, so smart, totally disgusted that his little sister won't be born with teeth, hilarious), but she claims this current one is her last, so I'm just happy she will have one of each. I believe she is due in mid-June ... or maybe mid-July? I keep getting it mixed up ... darn "J" months squished together! Either way, she is due this summer and it will be a little, pink, precious baby girl.

As for Aunt Kay, I mentioned in my last update that she was doing really well. She still is and has been cleared to do everything except exercise (that starts in about 6 weeks). She was 95% clogged where they operated (through her femoral artery in her leg, all the way up to her heart, yikes!), so surgery was definitely necessary. They say it will improve her quality of life tremendously. We are all happy to hear that! She says she's already having excess spurts of energy. She does need to stay inactive until they clear her for rehabilitation, however. We shall see how that goes! (I have mentioned the stubborn streak, haven't I?) ;) We are all just tickled pea green that she is doing well. Whew!

Sunday was the Super Bowl. I think everyone who knows me probably knows that professional football isn't my fav-rave, but I do enjoy the excitement of the final game. (I think it's to do with the food.) I mean, I'll watch football anytime without complaint if it is on, but ... I prefer college ... and, really, only the college I actually attended. However, Norbert quite loves pro football and had all of us out to his house for a Super Bowl Party of sorts. There wasn't much wild ruckus happening, as we had one baby, one patient, and a lot of tired party-goers, but we did gather and eat and enjoy. I, personally, was asleep by 10 o'clock. Oh, but I will have to post the picture of all of us in our 3-D glasses as soon as Melanie sends me the pictures from the weekend. It's ridiculous.

Let's see ... what else, what else? Oh yes ... for those of you (probably all) totally confused by the titles of my posts starting with this one, I am using lines from songs until further notice. Coming up with an all-encompassing few words of my own to alert whoever reading of all that will be discussed therein is too difficult for me! Song lines are much easier ... and sound way cooler, too. So, yeah, I'm a stealer. (Not to be confused with a Steeler ... I was rooting for the Cardinals. I always like a good underdog story.)

I guess the only other noteworthy news at the moment is that Puxatony Phil saw his shadow on Monday, claiming 6 more weeks of Winter. Sure would be nice if he sent that same message to the weather down here! 70's and 80's in February is not awesome, I don't care what all of the heat-seeking, melanoma-having, wrinkle-ridden crazy folk say!

1 comments:

timmonstimes said...

Hi! The pics are up on Corinne's shutterfly site:) 3d glasses and all!