Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The Grammy's

I think I must be REALLY far out of the loop ...

I taped the Grammy's and watched it (fast-forward-style) right after work yesterday. I barely knew ANYBODY! I knew the obvious icons like Stevie Wonder and Al Green and, of course, Paul McCartney ... I knew Radiohead and John Mayer and Keith Urban and Foo Fighters and Jason Mraz and Coldplay and Justin Timberlake and Kings of Leon and Adele (I haven't completely been under a rock) ... I had even heard of Miley Cyrus, Taylor Swift, and The Jonas Brothers (working in schools makes this knowledge inevitable) ... but I had never, ever heard anything by them (I boycott radio) ... but who in the world were T.I. and Ne-Yo and Lil Wayne and Duffy and Lady Antebellum and Jazmine Sullivan and Chris Brown (apparently, some sort of girlfriend-abuser; great role model for the kids; way to go, asshole) ... and, seriously, who, who, who, who, WHO was that horribly pregnant girl in polka-dotted spandex gyrating across the stage?! Horrifying!!! I was just waiting for her water to break right there on national television.

My point is ... I don't get the music of the younger generation ... obviously. All of the people I had actually heard before are "older" folk who have been around for a while ... and what I mean by "older" are musicians my age or older who have had more than a couple successful singles ... and, gasp! ... probably even multiple high-selling records. I think the term is "longevity."

I don't know; watching The Grammy's yesterday made me feel like a granny. I fast-forwarded through a lot of it, muttering "Rubbish ..." under my breath and rolling my eyes. I will say, though, those little Jonas boys did impress me with holding their own next to the fabulous Mr. Wonder himself. I was actually, physically nervous for them when I saw that pairing; however, they did hold their own. And, yes, while the young-girly duet with Taylor Swift and Miley Cyrus was not my kind of thing ... those girls can actually sing. I'll give them that much! The rap, gangsta, "I'm bad" stuff, though ... I'll just never understand. It's not music to me. I guess I'm just square that way ...

0 comments: