Friday, September 12, 2008

Eleven on the Twelfth

1. I'm feeling a sudden burst of motivation to 'Dive in and do!' I can't decide if it's the incredibly strong pot of coffee I made (and proceeded to drink the majority of) this morning, or if I am just now discovering that I have a ton of stuff I could be doing in lieu of this recent, very boring situation I find myself immersed in (no 'real' job, no 'real' responsibilities).

2. List of what I plan to 'Dive in and do!': A. My new-ish digital camera (very high-tech, very swanky) that I got for my BIG graduation present in December. I haven't read the manual and figured it out yet, and I should. I love, and I do mean LOVE taking pictures. It's time to start. B. Photoshop. I have the hand-me-down Mac from my mom's shop, which is still super-duper nice. It has all sorts of interesting applications. Time to go! C. Speaking of ... the cards I started working on a while back and discarded (hahahahahaha ... get it? DisCARDed!) when things went nuts my last semester of college. D. The GRE! Nuff said. E. The book. Again, nuff said. F. Coloring. Seriously. I love it! I don't do it enough. And my mom, in an act of sheer silliness, bought me the biggest, 3-tier thingy of crayons I've ever seen. It's glorious, too pretty to be broken in, but begging to be used. G. Painting! I'm no good at it, but I adore it in ways I'm not comfortable discussing. H. Scrapbooking! Okay, so, it's a little hokey. I get it. Still, I'm going to do it. I have a three-drawer tupperware chalk-full of supplies to get the things I have stock-piled from my past organized and put in coherent order. May as well, right? Right.

3. Whew. That is A LOT of stuff. My head is spinning already.

4. I also very much want to figure out the widgets (is that the technical term?) for all of the fancy features on this blog. I would love to include some photos, I am figuring out how to put music up, and I also have one of those totally cheesy voice recorders (had to buy it for a class a while back and it actually comes in handy while driving and whatnot). I figure I could put up some voice posts from time to time. Might be weird, but who cares? Fly your freak flag proudly!

5. I have no clue if Hurricane Ike is headed our way, or if it will skirt us like the 3 previous have; however, I am prepared! Movies, food, water, candles, flashlights, and games! Just in case. And the funny part is that I didn't even have to buy too, very much to be "prepared." It just happened that I had it most of it here. Strange, but true. And I am also very pleased that I filled up on gas last night, instead of today. Because so many of the evacuees are being guided here, 'they' were saying on the news a bit earlier that the entire city may be bone dry (gasoline-wise) by this evening. Freaky.

6.
It's time to get going on that sewing machine my mom gave me to keep here. I've been slightly intimidated by using it without her expertise in the same vicinity, but it is definitely time to conquer the beast. Be smarter than the machine. You get the idea. I'll start small first, then work my way up. Must walk before you can run. Remember that. ;)

7. I had a 2 1/2 hour writing test for a job with the Texas Legislature on Wednesday morning at 8am. It's one I applied for online on a total whim. The session here in The Capitol starts in January, and they are in need to folks to fill spots in the Bill Analysis Unit. If hired, I would start mid-October and would work until the session ends on June 2nd. From my understanding, I would be proof-reading, editing, and summarizing bills for the higher-ups. They said my English major is a huge bonus, so we will see. I would love to get the job. It pays well, would be interesting, and I wouldn't have to worry about quitting before I start my Master's because the job would end about 2 weeks prior. Seems perfect. I'm crossing my fingers, but won't know anything for a few weeks.

8. Subbing kind of sucks. I don't mind it too, too much. I did think I would have my own class by now, though, so teaching others' kids on a random, different from day-to-day basis isn't exactly my fav rave. I will continue to do it (when there are jobs available, that is) until I find something else, of course. I'd just rather either have my own class, or, as I said, do something entirely different. I need more of a purpose. I get stir-crazy quite easily ... and these past few months have not been the keenest in controlling the urge.

9.
It's mid-September-ish ... already! I cannot believe how quickly time is flying by. I'll be 27 in about a month. 27!!!! Obviously, I knew I would be getting older and older as the days persist, I just thought when I was younger that ages such as those in the late-20's (and early 30's, even) were so far away. Now it is here. The weird thing is that I don't feel (almost) 27 ... whatever that is supposed to feel like. I feel like I've grown up for the most part, but I don't feel any differently than I than any other time I remember. Maybe that is because change is subtle. Some might even say sneaky.

10.
I said it before, but really ... I'm totally stuck on Sweet and Low by Augustana right now. Also, Detriot Waves by Matt Nathanson, Live To Be Free by Griffin House, I'd Rather Be With You by Joshua Radin, Love Remains the Same by Gavin Rossdale (yes, the one on that cheesy trailer), and Sidedish Friend by Rachael Yamagata are all great songs.

11. Remember ... make out, not war (way more fun in my estimation) ... and, as always, be kind to one another. :)

0 comments: