Friday, August 15, 2008

Oy, with the poodles, already!

As a jumping off point for today, here's my horoscope:

You may feel as if you are in a rut and could be rather disillusioned about the prospects for change. A recent disappointment only added to your current malaise. But don't make despondency a habit, for everything is about to change. You are better off being hopeful about the future than you are being saddened by the past.

I think that about sums up the teaching job situation for now: disappointment, malaise, and despondency. (HA!) No, not really. That dern "hiring freeze" is most assuredly the bane of my existence right now, though. I have had 2 interviews in the last 2 weeks and haven't heard back from either one. This means that the jobs most likely haven't been filled, as I was told by both that contact would be made "no matter what." The words from both as I left, laughing and shaking hands were, "Sarah, you will DEFINITELY be hearing from us soon." That would lead one to believe that the phone would actually ring at some point, correct? Well, not so far. In their defense (whether warranted or not), I discovered that the principals aren't allowed to discuss the positions they are trying to fill after the interviews have been completed until papers (contract and other legal bullhonky) are signed by someone (myself or whomever else).

So, on the downside, I'm uber-frustrated by interviewing and getting no response about anything in return. On the upside, however, I am actually getting calls for interviews. This shows interest. Interest is good. The problem is getting through the district's main office and having them fully approve the hire. No word yet on if that will ever happen. In the meantime, I do have subbing all set up and kickin' to begin again. In the end, if all else fails, I do have that as a backup plan. This is always good.

I'm really just trying to keep my chin up as much as possible. It's not always the easiest task, but getting down on myself about it is "counterproductive" (Alex's assertion). I believe it must be true. I am doing everything I can do, and I'm just trying not to take it too personally. I'm qualified, I'm enthusiastic, and I'm not a total idiot. Whatever is supposed to happen will happen. Right? Right.

By way of an actual, legitimate update, I think that is all I have for now. As I mentioned earlier today, I had a slightly different, possibly more rambly post typed up and ready to post. Right when I hit "Publish," though, our finicky Internet connection went all wonky. The last bit of the post, which would have simply continued on for a while below this, was eaten. I would try to recreate what was said, but I'm sure it wasn't of urgent importance. What is of urgent importance is that it is Friday and I am ready to start the weekend!

As always, I'll tell more about the job stuff as I know the final word. In the meantime, I'll just be excited that school supplies are crazy-cheap right now and my addiction to such purchases hasn't sent me into bankruptcy quite yet. :)

2 comments:

Michael said...

You should make meth instead of teaching.

It is:

A. Less stinky

B. More profitable

C. Less dangerous

I'm just sayin'.......

Sarah Kay said...

Hmmmm ... a future in meth? You just might be on to something there ...