Met up with Nikki and Joe today. I just love having awesome friends. And, seriously, if there ever were a couple who were "MFEO" (yeah, I'm a loser), it's those two.
I can't really say that I got them together ... because that would be a fabrication ... they did all the work. But I definitely had a hand in their meeting. It's nice to know that I had even a minor part in bringing together two people who are certain to be together forever. It's such a nice idea. Even nicer when it becomes a reality.
Sometimes I try to hide it and be "tough" and not sappy and sentimental, but it's all a lie. I'm a total romantic at my core. It's like that quote from Ally ... well, those TWO quotes from Ally.
"The idea that when people come together, they stay together. I have to take that with me when I go to bed at night ..."
AND (my absolute favorite, for so many reasons)
"The world is no longer a romantic place. Some of its people still are, however - and therein lies the promise. Don't let the world win."
I realize I am a total freak about that show, but it's just my absolute favorite of all-time. I relate to Ally on an almost sad level. The longer you live and the more experience, the more you toughen up ... but it's almost sad that you become what I guess could be called stronger.
The day you realize that love is usually more conditional than unconditional could be seen a day that transforms you from a child to a grown-up ... but it's not really the most celebrated step toward maturity, if you ask me. I still sometimes wish that I could have stayed ignorant in that kind of bliss.
But, really, I don't know. That kind of bliss for me would have meant staying with someone who didn't love me at all ... unconditional or not. And, in that case, I never would have known what it means to be loved at all. Real conditional trumps fake unconditional any day.
Plus, hasn't it always been said that there is no love like the one you have with yourself? I don't think it's meant to seem as narcissistic as it sounds. I think it's supposed to be motivational or encouraging or something. Either way, it could be totally true. I find comfort in it, either way.
But, yeah, back to my whole point. It's just nice to be around two people who you know are going to "make it." It happens so rarely these days. Sad, but true. It's just nice to see some proof from time to time ... gives us all something to aspire to.
11 years ago

0 comments:
Post a Comment