Sunday, August 30, 2009

Basterds, Laundry, & Weddings

Went to see Inglorious Basterds today. The verdict is that it was alright, but could have been better if it were a little shorter. Some funny parts, not at all historically accurate ... but I guess that was probably the point. Anyhoo ... it would probably have been better to wait and watch it on DVD.

I've been cleaning house and doing laundry since returning from the movie. I would much prefer sitting on my duff on the couch and zoning out for a while, but things such as lack of clean clothing and dirty dishes must be attended to somehow. No other time like the present!

Nikki and Joe's wedding was nice yesterday: very non-traditional, very fast ... which I appreciated. I mean, the wedding was definitley BIG and FANCY (make no mistake about that), but the vows and the way it was all done was very much not in the realm of what most would call "milk toast." (Is that even the right expression? Sheesh.)

The reverend who presided over the ceremony is an old friend of Joe's who got ordained in college, but is not the leader of a church or any other religious affiliation, so the vows were very short, sweet, and ... unique. He actually quoted The Ataris ... I thought it was SO COOL! :)

Anyhow, I'm a little wiped out from work, school starting, this wedding's events, and such, but I am incredibly glad that I could be there for Nikki. She has been a great friend to me through the years (almost half of my entire life, yikes), and she deserves to be safe and sound ... and will be with Joe.

I did take note of a few things while watching her plan her wedding, and while hearing her talk of how much work actually goes into a ceremony of that size. The first is that I am just not cut out for a large wedding of my own. The second is that (if and when I get married) I want something very small, very intimate, and very stress-free! Of course, then there would be a very large reception (in the form of a house party) a week or so later ... but, you know, the actual vows and ceremony ... short, sweet, intimate, calm.

I think that the older I get, the more I realize that I just don't want (and could not handle) an extravagant lifestyle of any form or fashion. Some might call it boring, but I think it's nice to keep things as simple as possible. No muss, no fuss. I just want to be happy. The rest doesn't matter too, too much.

Oh, and did I mention that the entire time I've been writing this, some strange man has been knocking on my door incessantly? (Guess he didn't (or can't) read the "No Soliciting" sign clear as the day is long right beside the front door!) It's nearly nightfall and I'm here alone, so I'm a little freaked out. I never know what to do in these kinds of situations ... open the door and try my luck, call the police, sneak out the back door and run.

Ugh! I'll let you know what I decide.

0 comments: