I finally bit the bullet and signed up for the GRE. I mean, I am applying to Master's programs for next Fall and applications are due in January, so the GRE is a bit of a must, if you know what I mean.
I've purchased all of my study materials, including a set of 500 flashcards that guarantee to make my vocabulary so awesome not even the editors of Webster will understand everything I will certainly be talking about.
I also have to brush up on my Math, seeing as how I haven't taken "traditional" Math since ... oh ... Freshman year of college way back in the day. The only good news I can gather from this is that I actually found Algebra to be fun. Yes, fun.
The admission I must make is that I am feeling slightly intimidated by this exam. I know I shouldn't let the pressure get to me, but, let's face it ... this is a BIG test! The fact that I'm somewhat of a perfectionist when it comes to myself (mainly nerd-wise) doesn't help matters much.
Still, I plan on making the GRE my bitch. It's a personal vow I've made to myself, and I plan wholeheartedly on following through. The main thing I have going for me is the somewhat annoying trait of sheer, unadulterated stubbornness. I will not fail!
Surprisingly, I'm more nervous about the Verbal than the Math. This has more to do with my chosen field of study (Literature) than anything else, I think. However, it could also be due in part to that massive box of words sitting beside my computer, which is extremely, extremely insane. I have some work to do.
The test is on December 19th at 8am here in Austin. That is the Friday before Christmas break, and I plan on taking it off to conquer the 4-hour test, then drive home for The Holidays. Work, then lots and lots of play!
In the meantime, studying, studying, and more and more studying is my plan of action. If anyone reading this has taken said exam, please feel free to offer any advice or condolences. I'm, as they say, all ears. :)
11 years ago

0 comments:
Post a Comment