I'm sitting here at the kitchen table waiting for the yard man to show up ... just like I've been waiting for him to show up since last Wednesday. Only today, the yard man is different than the one who kept me waiting a week.
Our front yard is a jungle, and the backyard isn't far behind. I swear, it's absolutely terrible. I don't know much about lawnmowing, but I imagine the new guy would have best luck taking a machete to the stuff.
Our fridge is also out again. The appliance people came last week and said they fixed it, but they didn't. It's very strange because it works for about 2 hours every day, then doesn't the other 22.
Between heaters and air conditioners (okay, same unit, but you get it) and refrigerators and lawns, I'm worn out. I suppose this is the double-edged sword of renting. You don't have to pay when things break, but you do have to deal with a lot of piss-poor maintenance.
I'm still training like a madwoman. I've finished CScope, am halfway through GT, have ESL tomorrow through Friday, and will hopefully finish up my CDL next Monday and Tuesday. Then my first official day is next Wednesday!
Where does the time go?! It seems like yesterday that I received the call I was hired. I've crammed so much into these past two months, I think that could be the reason time feels like it just flew out the window.
Mini-vacation with Alex and his mom to Dallas and Austin, Summer I (still maintaining that 4.0, by the way!), Summer Planning Academy, Volleyball Camp, trip to Carlsbad for July 4th, visit from Alex's dad, and now training, training, training.
It's always funny to me when people say teachers have it "so easy." Sure, the schedule is nice with the breaks and everything, but teaching is not easy ... and once school is out, we are definitely not done. Summers are jam-packed! For new teachers like myself, anyway.
I'll tell you one thing I'm really excited about ... setting up my classroom. I really can't wait. I know that sounds like the dorkiest, most nerd-brained thing for me to say, but it's true. I'll have to take pictures.
Anyone who knows anything about me realizes that I won't be one of those teachers who does nothing fun with the room. I think the classroom sets the tone for the class. It needs to be safe place, and I intend on making it very comfortable and inviting.
I'm a very lucky girl in that I have amazing resources for free posters (Norbert) and anything else creative I might need (mom). I've already decided on what to put on the walls (not typical teacher stuff, for the most part), I just need to know the sizes. For that, I'll have to see the room first.
Usually, I think most teachers already know their room assignments by now, but we aren't able to get into the school at all this summer (well, until August 1st, I believe). They're doing a lot of updates like lighting and bathrooms and such. I'm definitely not complaining.
And, seriously ... where the heck is this lawn guy?! I hate it when people are late for business appointments. (And, yes, I do believe it's an appointment ... it's his way of earning money.) Maybe I'm just paranoid that he's going to stand us up, too. Ugh, we just need to bite the bullet and buy our own gear.
Oops!! And there he is! JOY!!!
11 years ago

0 comments:
Post a Comment