It's Shark Week on The Discovery Channel. I have always been fairly fascinated by sharks (probably because they scare the buh-jeez out of me), so this week is one typically one with lots of TV for me. Instead of having to lock myself away and watch alone, I have a partner in nerdy-ness this year. The Boy has DVRed all of the interesting things and we have been watching them in the evenings (in between Tennis on Wii and Californication Season 1 on DVD).
Anyway, two days ago we were watching this one show about a guy attempting to put sharks in South Africa in a catatonic state, nicknamed "Tonic" by touching them with his hand. Essentially what the guy does (which is INSANE!) is get in the water with the Great White Sharks, and as they come towards him head-on, he touches their noses. Something about the hand-to-nose contact releases a ton of serotonin in the sharks' brains and puts them in this completely calm and dazed state where they don't move (and even sink sometimes). I only explain this because it applies to this ...
(Well, that, and now you all share my knowledge on how to avert a shark attack in open water ... just reach out and touch its nose, silly! Pffffft!)
Something about watching that right before bed made me have this really crazy dream where we had a house with a pond in the backyard. We also had a huge alligator as a pet living in that pond that would curl up in a ball (like a cat or dog) and sleep against the back door. In the dream, though, the way we would "pet" the alligator is to have it charge us and then touch its snout right before it chomped, which would put it in a catatonic state. Then we would roll it over and scratch its belly ... again, like a cat or dog.
I'm not sure why I thought up an alligator. I can suss out the rest fairly easily. We saw not only one, but two totally adorable dogs yesterday that I wouldn't mind owning. The first was on Californication (truly hilarious show), and I think it was a Boxer ... only it was bigger and tan. The other was a baby Corgi that looked like an Ewok with a tuxedo on its back and booties on its feet. They were both completely precious and I have Puppy Fever right now, so that explains the whole pet theme. The house thing is also easy to figure out, as we have been discussing "a house or an apartment?" and all of that good stuff. The alligator, though ... that one is completely lost on me.
Where's that crazy bastard, Freud, when you need him? ;)
11 years ago

0 comments:
Post a Comment